Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This Week's Featured Member - Natalie Woods


Tell us about who you are and how you got started doing what you do. Did you gain formal training? Where? If not, how did you develop your art


My name is Natalie Woods and I grew up/lived in Victoria, BC before moving to the mainland in early 2012. I got started in photography after receiving an Olympus point and shoot camera when I was 14 which lead to experimenting and taking photography at Victoria High School.  As for the craft aspect, I’ve always been pretty crafty ;) I don’t have any formal training, but have taken and continue to take workshops.


Tell us about your studio. Do you have a room or workshop especially
dedicated to your art? Or is it the kitchen table or a corner in your child's
playroom?


I have my own room in our small apartment where I can store and use my supplies, but more often than not it overflows into the living room! I’m looking forward to moving into a larger place so I can really set-up my work area, as right now it’s just make shift and not a lot of storage.

Tell us about your processes. How do you work? Do you listen to music or
need quiet? Is it sporadic or do you dedicate set hours to work?


I tend to work sporadically but try to schedule hours to dedicate when I know for sure I can block it off. I work 4-days a week outside the house, so I often work in the evenings and weekends.


I always have music or a movie playing on my laptop. I have never been able to concentrate without having “white noise” to block out.


When I go out and take photographs, unless I’m with someone else, I always have my headphones on. I listen to what I call my “muse” music, which ranges from James Taylor to Mumford and Sons to Atmosphere. It helps me open my eyes, block out the world buzzing around me and focus on looking for “the shot”.


What are the toughest challenges you find in keeping consistent hours?
What other challenges do you face in your work and what ways have you
been able to address them (if you have)?


The toughest challenge is life itself. I have found the easiest thing is to not fight it and just go with the flow. When I fight it, I stress out and that’s just not good for everyone. I do my best to fit everything in I need to in a day but I prioritize so the important things get done first. If I have a custom pendant to do, I’ll work on that before doing anything else.   

What types of materials do you use? Why?

I use: photography, resin, pendant trays and sealant, etc.  After trial and error I chose to switch to resin because I have more control than the glass I was using before.


I currently use pre-made pendant trays, but I’ll be announcing something exciting hopefully by spring that will change that! 


Where else do you sell your work?


I sell prints and electronic decals, like iPhone skins and such, at Society6. http://society6.com/whenshuttersclick

I also sell my instagram photographs as prints via Instacanvas. http://instacanv.as/whenshuttersclick

I am currently working on a Storenvy shop, and once my new website is ready,  I will have products in an online shop there. I’m also hoping to start having my items carried in stores on Vancouver Island and the mainland.


Why do you think people should buy handmade?

To put it simply, handmade means more.


While we all are guilty of buying from stores like Ikea and Walmart due to the prices, it’s just not the same as buying something that was made by hand in a non-mass produced way.


Knowing that you have something that is one-of-a-kind or unique is the most amazing feeling.

What goals do you have?


I have a number of goals I am trying to complete in 2013 but specifically:

·         New website

·         Newsletter

·         New set of photographs to use

·         New designs and products

·         Have my products in locally-owned shops


I have already started the process to hit a few of those goals, but a few are moving a bit slower. I don’t have a lot of connections and I’m not really sure how to go about having my products sold locally so if anyone out there has any advice, please contact me!



What are three items in your shop that you are particularly proud of?


Wine charms (packs of 2), one of my new products from the end of 2012
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115903799/wine-charms-flower-wine-charms-purple


iPhone Skins. I am so happy to be able to offer these now, I just love how my photos look!
http://society6.com/whenshuttersclick/Daydream-myp_iPhone-Case



Bookmarks. Even though people don’t read physical books as much anymore, I still love them; they are a cute accessory for great novels.



Will you be at any art/craft fairs this year? Any other place you will be that you would like us to know about? (Include links to these places if possible.)


At the time current time I am writing this, I don’t have anything booked. I have a few applications in and I’m waiting for a few fairs/markets to open their applications for 2013. I would keep an eye on my website and fan page for updates on where I will be.

 

Links:













No comments:

Post a Comment